|کد مقاله||کد نشریه||سال انتشار||مقاله انگلیسی||ترجمه فارسی||نسخه تمام متن|
|360212||620442||2015||12 صفحه PDF||سفارش دهید||دانلود رایگان|
• Explicit instructional approach to formulaic sequences enhances their acquisition.
• Explicit instruction promotes L2 learners' use of formulaic sequences in writing.
• Explicit instruction helps learners achieve higher academic language proficiency.
• L2 learners use formulaic sequences creatively in writing.
• L2 learners use formulaic sequences as zones of safety.
To date, experts in the field of second language acquisition (SLA) have paid extensive attention to the vital role formulaic sequences can play in augmenting second language (L2) learners' academic writing skills. However, empirical testing of such a role is rarely attempted in research. This quantitative research study is an attempt to investigate the effects of focused instruction of formulaic sequences on twelve L2 learners' academic writing skills. The study results suggest that an explicit instructional approach to formulaic sequences can enhance their subsequent acquisition and promote L2 learners' tendency to integrate this language phenomenon in their writing. Moreover, formulaic sequences may increase L2 learners' writing proficiency because they function as frames to which L2 learners might resort when approaching a writing task to compose an academic piece of writing.
Journal: Journal of English for Academic Purposes - Volume 17, March 2015, Pages 51–62