|کد مقاله||کد نشریه||سال انتشار||مقاله انگلیسی||ترجمه فارسی||نسخه تمام متن|
|355376||619272||2015||10 صفحه PDF||سفارش دهید||دانلود رایگان|
این مقاله ISI می تواند منبع ارزشمندی برای تولید محتوا باشد.
- تولید محتوا برای سایت و وبلاگ
- تولید محتوا برای کتاب
- تولید محتوا برای نشریات و روزنامه ها
• Epistemic modality in English medical RAs is analyzed from systemic functional perspective.
• Values and orientations of epistemic modality are examined.
• Low or median value epistemic modal expressions are predominantly used.
• Epistemic modal expression with explicitly subjective orientation is least used.
• Appropriate use of epistemic modality makes more convincing and persuasive claims in medial RAs.
Epistemic modality is a critical yet intricate linguistic device in academic writing. In this study, we investigated the use of epistemic modality in 25 English-medium medical research articles (RAs) from a systemic functional perspective. We focused on the distribution of the value and the orientation of epistemic modality and their functions in medical RAs. The results showed that medical RA writers mostly rely on low and median values, and implicitly subjective, implicitly objective and explicitly objective orientations of epistemic modality. These findings indicate that medical RA writers tend to make claims mainly in a tentative, reserved and objective way. The findings of the study may help non-native medical RA writers to produce more acceptable medical RAs.
Journal: English for Specific Purposes - Volume 38, April 2015, Pages 1–10